Volkswagen Tiguan, Passat to be launched in India this year
- Railways not to seek more funds from Budget, says Piyush Goyal
- World Toilet Day: Narendra Modi says committed to improving sanitation facilities
- Delhi government issues 117-point checklist to schools on student safety
- UIDAI says 210 government websites made public Aadhaar details
- Anti-hijacking law: Civil aviation ministry may delegate some powers to home ministry
Mumbai: Volkswagen Passenger Cars Sales India Pvt. Ltd, the local arm of the German carmaker Volkswagen AG, will introduce the Tiguan sports utility vehicle (SUV) and a new version of the Passat sedan this year, the company said in a statement on Thursday.
Expected in the second quarter, the Volkswagen Tiguan, a premium SUV, will compete with the Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavour which are priced in the range of Rs25.92 lakh to Rs31.12 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
Powered by a 2.0L TDI engine, the Tiguan claims to offer a combination of performance, safety, efficiency and luxury.
Volkswagen will also bring the all new Passat, a premium sedan, in the second quarter of the current year. It had discontinued the model in 2013. It will compete with the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, among other models.
“2017 marks 10 years for Volkswagen in India and at this opportune moment, we reiterate our commitment with a strong product line-up aimed at fostering our growth momentum in the country,” Michael Mayer, director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars India, said in the statement.
The German carmaker has a less than 5% share of the 3.2 million car market in India, where the local arms of Suzuki Motor Co. and Hyundai Motor Co. sell three out of every four cars.