Volkswagen Tiguan, Passat to be launched in India this year
- BHU protests: UP govt takes action against policemen, magistrates over crackdown
- Deals Buzz: Aditya Birla Corp to bid for Aleris, Godrej Agrovet eyes $1.27B valuation
- Oaktree’s CEO sees room to invest in India, China ‘more aggressively’
- Former home secretary Rajiv Mehrishi takes over as India’s CAG
- LIVE: Narendra Modi, Amit Shah to address BJP national executive meeting
Mumbai: Volkswagen Passenger Cars Sales India Pvt. Ltd, the local arm of the German carmaker Volkswagen AG, will introduce the Tiguan sports utility vehicle (SUV) and a new version of the Passat sedan this year, the company said in a statement on Thursday.
Expected in the second quarter, the Volkswagen Tiguan, a premium SUV, will compete with the Toyota Fortuner and Ford Endeavour which are priced in the range of Rs25.92 lakh to Rs31.12 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
Powered by a 2.0L TDI engine, the Tiguan claims to offer a combination of performance, safety, efficiency and luxury.
Volkswagen will also bring the all new Passat, a premium sedan, in the second quarter of the current year. It had discontinued the model in 2013. It will compete with the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, among other models.
“2017 marks 10 years for Volkswagen in India and at this opportune moment, we reiterate our commitment with a strong product line-up aimed at fostering our growth momentum in the country,” Michael Mayer, director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars India, said in the statement.
The German carmaker has a less than 5% share of the 3.2 million car market in India, where the local arms of Suzuki Motor Co. and Hyundai Motor Co. sell three out of every four cars.