Birla Corp profit in September quarter rises 152%
- China bans exports of some fuel products to North Korean line with UN sanctions
- Mark Zuckerberg plans to sell nearly 18% of his Facebook shares in next 18 months
- Pakistan shells Indian border posts, hamlets along IB, LoC in J&K, 7 injured
- Hurricane Maria skirts Turks and Caicos as Puerto Rico endures fresh flooding
- Steel ministry criticises SAIL as shortage hits railway upgrade
Kolkata: MP Birla Group company Birla Corp. Ltd Tuesday said its net profit in the September quarter had grown 152% year-on-year to Rs58.43 crore (from Rs23.2 crore a year ago) thanks to cost rationalization and a surprise Rs13 crore cash profit from the jute division.
The cement maker’s revenue, however, declined 3.5% from a year earlier to Rs882.5 crore.
After a short spurt in the June quarter, demand for cement contracted in the September quarter, the company said in a statement.
During the quarter, Birla Corp. concluded the purchase of Reliance Cement Co. Pvt. Ltd with which its production capacity goes up to 15.5 million tonnes (mt) from 10 mt.