×
Home Companies Industry Politics Money Opinion LoungeMultimedia Science Education Sports TechnologyConsumerSpecialsMint on Sunday
×

Training co Linkage sets up India arm

Training co Linkage sets up India arm
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Wed, May 06 2009. 12 59 AM IST
Updated: Wed, May 06 2009. 12 59 AM IST
Bangalore: Indian companies are spending less on leadership development programmes as the economic slowdown bites. That’s not keeping away external consultants that help hone the leadership skills of company executives.
Massachusetts, US-based Linkage Inc., an organizational development and leadership training company, launched its Indian arm in Bangalore on Tuesday.
“The need for leadership is stronger than ever in an economic downturn...companies are all worried about it (leadership),” Romi Malhotra, chief executive officer of Linkage India Training and Consulting Pvt. Ltd, said at a press conference.
Linkage’s global clients include the world’s largest drug maker, Pfizer Inc., US defence firm Lockheed Martin Corp., food and beverages companies Nestle SA and PepsiCo Inc. Many of these companies may become the Indian arm’s clients as well, said Malhotra.
Linkage India will offer generic and customized programmes in subjects such as communicating better as a leader and change management, in addition to consultancy services. The programmes will be targeted at mid- to senior management. Companies engage both internal people, time and money and external consultants in developing leadership; this is typically done in the ratio of 70:30.
According to Mahalingam C., executive vice-president and chief people officer at outsourced product development firm Symphony Services Corp. (India) Pvt. Ltd, while the 70% internal investment in leadership training continues, the remaining 30% has shrunk to half.
“The overall training market is going through a rough patch in India. Companies are all very cautious as the sentiment is very negative,” said Anupam Sirbhaiya, regional director (India) at Center for Creative Leadership India Pvt. Ltd, the Indian arm of North Carolina, US-based Center for Creative Leadership, a coaching and management training company.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Wed, May 06 2009. 12 59 AM IST