Shell makes deep oil strike in Gulf of Mexico

Shell makes deep oil strike in Gulf of Mexico
AP
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Fri, Mar 19 2010. 06 08 PM IST
Updated: Fri, Mar 19 2010. 06 08 PM IST
Amsterdam: Royal Dutch Shell PLC says it has made a significant discovery of oil 25,000 feet below the surface in the Gulf of Mexico.
The company says the deposits were found at the Appotmattox prospect in the Mississippi Canyon of the gulf, an area where other rich deposits were discovered last year.
Shell said in a statement Friday it found oil at 25,077 feet (7,217 meters), then drilled an appraisal sidetrack and found more at 25,950 feet (7,910 meters).
Shell operates and holds an 80% working interest in the prospect, with the Canadian-based Nexen Inc. holding the remaining 20%.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Fri, Mar 19 2010. 06 08 PM IST