Huawei claims to have overtaken Apple in global phone sales
Latest News »
- After buying Ibibo, MakeMyTrip is spending more on promotions than its net revenue
- Grasim Industries: holding company discount remains a concern
- NBCC investors wait for revenue growth with indomitable faith
- Opening bell: Asian markets open lower; PNB, HDFC Bank, Infosys in news
- Motherson Sumi: is revenue growth coming at cost of profitability?
New Delhi: Chinese smartphone maker Huawei on Monday said it has overtaken iPhone maker Apple in global sales volume to become second largest handset company globally.
“Huawei overtook Apple in global sales volume share in December,” Huawei India director for product centre Allen Wang said. He said the company’s share in December 2016 reached 13.2% globally whereas Apple was in the range of 12%.
The company claims to have shipped 139 million smartphones last year. Though Samsung leads the global market in volumes, Huawei has overtaken the Korean technology major in some markets, Wang said. “Honor (Huawei’s online smartphone brand) has now become world’s number one online brand,” he said.
The brand is now selling across 74 countries including India.