×
Home Companies Industry Politics Money Opinion LoungeMultimedia Science Education Sports TechnologyConsumerSpecialsMint on Sunday
×

Dish TV eyeing 9 mn subscribers by 2010

Dish TV eyeing 9 mn subscribers by 2010
PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Mon, Jan 19 2009. 03 42 PM IST
Updated: Mon, Jan 19 2009. 03 42 PM IST
Chennai: Direct-To-Home (DTH) service provider and part of the Essel Group, ‘Dish TV´ has said that it was aiming at nearly doubling its subscriber base to 9 million by next year.
“Currently we have around 4.8 million subscribers (in the country) and in the last three months alone we have added one million subscribers..by this financial year we are expecting to add another two million subscribers and achieve a target of 9 million subscribers by 2010,” Dish TV Chief Operating Officer V.K. Gupta said.
He said that the company would also be able to achieve a target revenue of Rs800 crore. However, he declined to divulge details of last year’s revenue.
The revenue generated from Value Added Services (VAS) was only less than 2% of the total revenue and Dish Tv had set a target of increasing it to 5% in this fiscal.
“As for as VAS is concerned it has got a slower penetration (in country) and once the DTH services pickup, it would also increase,” he said adding: “The company has also planned to introduce a new VAS in tourism category shortly.” However, he declined to elaborate on the same.
“Currently under VAS, the company offers Movie-on-Demand (MOD), Bhakti services, matrimony, banking and games,” he said.
Replying to a question, Gupta said that Dish TV currently had a market share of 48% and the South zone contributed around 30% of this.
As part of its expansion plans, the company had planned to increase its dealership network from the present 45,000 to 2 lakh by 2010.
“I want to reach two lakh dealerships network by next year” he said.
In a bid to woo subscribers in Tamil Nadu, the company would introduce new Tamil channels.
“We are holding discussions on this and very soon new channels will be added to the Tamil bouquet,” he said.
The company currently offers 220 channels for its subscribers and hoped to increase it to 400 in near future.
Gupta was here to officially launch the Free Recharge coupon which enables a subscriber to get “Free A-La-Carte” packs and Movie-on-Demand (MOD) worth the same amount of recharge value.
“If a subscriber buys a Rs200 denomination recharge pack, he would be able to get free value worth of same amount where 20% of the value would go for A-La-Carte packs and the remaining 80 per cent to MOD category,” he said.
He said that for all the denominations which range between Rs200 to Rs1800, the recharge free benefits apply and 100 per cent value would be returned back to the subscriber.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Mon, Jan 19 2009. 03 42 PM IST