Start-up success: Does the city matter?
Mumbai start-ups showed a healthy mix of sectors being funded—be it B2C, B2B, enterprise software and financial technology, says a Venture Intelligence report
Latest News »
- Monnet Ispat: NCLT appoints administrator for bankruptcy proceedings
- Inflation to rise to 4.4% in second half of 2017: Nomura report
- India’s 1st individual Olympic medal up for auction for funds
- Air India plans new menu with variety of wines, mocktails for premium passengers
- US is said to review allegations German carmakers colluded
Mumbai-based companies had the highest success rate in terms of raising a follow-on round or providing an exit to its existing investor. Mumbai start-ups also showed a healthy mix of sectors being funded—be it B2C, B2B, enterprise software, financial technology, etc.
Mumbai companies which raised follow-on funding include Ola, Goqii (wearables), Mswipe (payments) and PrettySecrets (Innerwear). Mumbai companies that shut down include Purple Squirrel, Fetise (apparel) and LocalBanya (hyperlocal).
All of these companies have been angel funded in the past. The study, conducted by Venture Intelligence, included companies that raised angel investments in the 2010-2014 period across Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai and National Capital Region.