Start-up success: Does the city matter?
- Anandiben Patel named new Madhya Pradesh governor
- Tata vs Cyrus Mistry: Tata Trusts MD moves Bombay HC against quashing of summons
- Narayana Murthy panel pitches for friendly tax regime for AIFs
- BSE Sensex, Nifty 50 vault to record highs, post 7th week of gains
- Facebook, Twitter, YouTube accelerate removal of hate speech: EU
Mumbai-based companies had the highest success rate in terms of raising a follow-on round or providing an exit to its existing investor. Mumbai start-ups also showed a healthy mix of sectors being funded—be it B2C, B2B, enterprise software, financial technology, etc.
Mumbai companies which raised follow-on funding include Ola, Goqii (wearables), Mswipe (payments) and PrettySecrets (Innerwear). Mumbai companies that shut down include Purple Squirrel, Fetise (apparel) and LocalBanya (hyperlocal).
All of these companies have been angel funded in the past. The study, conducted by Venture Intelligence, included companies that raised angel investments in the 2010-2014 period across Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai and National Capital Region.