Start-up success: Does the city matter?
- Lodha Developers buy land in Mumbai’s Jogeshwari suburb from Patel Engineering
- BCCI, sports ministry discuss NADA, India-Pakistan match in ICC Test Championship
- To buy, or rent a home, that is the question
- Different ways to buy cryptocurrencies in India
- If total income is not taxable, senior citizens should keep bulk of their money in fixed deposits
Mumbai-based companies had the highest success rate in terms of raising a follow-on round or providing an exit to its existing investor. Mumbai start-ups also showed a healthy mix of sectors being funded—be it B2C, B2B, enterprise software, financial technology, etc.
Mumbai companies which raised follow-on funding include Ola, Goqii (wearables), Mswipe (payments) and PrettySecrets (Innerwear). Mumbai companies that shut down include Purple Squirrel, Fetise (apparel) and LocalBanya (hyperlocal).
All of these companies have been angel funded in the past. The study, conducted by Venture Intelligence, included companies that raised angel investments in the 2010-2014 period across Bangalore, Chennai, Mumbai and National Capital Region.