Alibaba’s delivery arm Cainiao to develop one million smart vans
- Rahul Gandhi says India feeling tired, directionless, only Congress can take it forward
- Bengaluru, India’s Silicon Valley, faces man-made water crisis
- Daler Mehndi sentenced to 2 years jail in human trafficking case, gets bail
- Xi Jinping re-elected as China’s president, loyalist Wang Qishan vice president
- Andrew McCabe, former FBI deputy director, fired right before he was to retire
Beijing: Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba’s delivery arm Cainiao Network has announced $ 7.3 billion investment to produce one million smart vans in partnership with domestic automakers for efficient delivery.
Cainiao said a computing system, powered by the Internet, will analyse real-time orders and design the most efficient routes for its delivery fleet. The move will cut cost and reduce energy consumption. In two cities where the plan was piloted in April, vans travelled 30% shorter distances and saved 20% of the operational costs.
Partnering automakers include SAIC Motor, Dongfeng Motor, Reach Rental. Cainiao also announced financial support of $7.3 billion for logistics firms and delivery drivers participating in the plan. Cainiao is China’s logistics firm that processes packages and parcels ordered through Alibaba’s e-commerce platforms. PTI