First bankruptcy case against Innoventive Industries registered in NCLT
- IL&FS Transportation JV plans Rs890 crore bond issue to refinance debt
- Travis Kalanick needs to explain role in Uber’s data breach
- UP civic elections 2017 LIVE: Voting begins for first phase in 24 districts
- US congratulates Dalveer Bhandari, but ‘opposes’ expansion of UNSC veto
- Sajjan Jindal’s JSW Groups said to hire StanChart banker to lead M&A
Mumbai: The country’s first bankruptcy case against Innoventive Industries Ltd was admitted in the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) on Tuesday, two people aware of the development said.
The court observed that the company cannot seek protection under the Maharashtra Industrial Development Act as the insolvency regulation is a special Act, said one of the two people. Both spoke on condition of anonymity.
ICICI Bank Ltd had filed an application against the Pune-based steel products maker in NCLT last month. This is the first case in India filed under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016, and it will provide a primer on how the new law will help tackle the banking system’s nearly Rs6.7 trillion of bad loans.