The rise of the unicorns
- Asean summit ends with rebukes against trade protectionism
- E-wallet will address GST refund issue of exporters, says Suresh Prabhu
- DP World buys stake in India logistics firm Continental Warehouse
- NDA messed up economy, mismanaged Jammu and Kashmir, says Manmohan Singh
- UP bypolls defeat no referendum on BJP policies, programmes: Yogi Adityanath
A unicorn, a start-up with a valuation of $1 billion or more, is one which every venture capitalist aspires to have in its portfolio. Tiger Global Management boasts of the highest number of such companies in India, according to a study by Venture Intelligence.
Tiger Global-backed consumer Internet companies Flipkart, Hike, Ola, Quikr and ShopClues.com have already made it to the list. Tiger is followed by another prolific investor, Sequoia Capital, with unicorns such as Mu Sigma, Ola and Zomato in its portfolio.