The rise of the unicorns
- US FCC to vote to repeal net neutrality rules: chief Ajit Pai
- Satin Creditcare subsidiary gets housing finance licence
- Robert Mugabe ends 37-year Zimbabwe rule under impeachment threat
- Brics Bank approves $400 million loans for India, Russia
- Oxford University sued over grades by student who couldn’t get into Harvard
A unicorn, a start-up with a valuation of $1 billion or more, is one which every venture capitalist aspires to have in its portfolio. Tiger Global Management boasts of the highest number of such companies in India, according to a study by Venture Intelligence.
Tiger Global-backed consumer Internet companies Flipkart, Hike, Ola, Quikr and ShopClues.com have already made it to the list. Tiger is followed by another prolific investor, Sequoia Capital, with unicorns such as Mu Sigma, Ola and Zomato in its portfolio.