The rise of the unicorns
- Judges row: Supreme Court to soon make public work allocation system
- Saudi energy minister urges oil producers to extend cooperation beyond 2018
- Call drops issue telco-specific, can’t be generalised: COAI
- President’s order disqualifying MLAs ‘unconstitutional’, ‘dangerous for democracy’: AAP
- Declutter: keep what gives you joy, discard the rest
A unicorn, a start-up with a valuation of $1 billion or more, is one which every venture capitalist aspires to have in its portfolio. Tiger Global Management boasts of the highest number of such companies in India, according to a study by Venture Intelligence.
Tiger Global-backed consumer Internet companies Flipkart, Hike, Ola, Quikr and ShopClues.com have already made it to the list. Tiger is followed by another prolific investor, Sequoia Capital, with unicorns such as Mu Sigma, Ola and Zomato in its portfolio.