Wipro shuts down CFL manufacturing unit at Mysuru
Bengaluru: Wipro Consumer Care and Lighting said it has shut down its lighting manufacturing unit at Mysuru due to a sharp decline in the demand for the compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) products and increasing preference for LED products.
“As required, we notified the government and relevant authorities of the decision to shut down the plant two months ago and have complied with all regulatory requirements,” the company said in a statement.
All 84 workmen were offered a voluntary retirement scheme by the company earlier this year.
Wipro Consumer Care and Lighting said the changing market and technology landscape in the lighting business marked by a sharp decline in the demand for CFL products and increasing preference for LED products over the past two years has rendered continued operations of the Mysuru manufacturing unit “commercially unviable”.
Stating that over the past two years, reduced demand saw production at the facility drop sharply, it said the company has evaluated all possible options and kept the plant operational of over a year at low production levels that are economically unviable.
- Unicorn India Ventures launches Rs600 crore venture debt fund
- India billionaires mount dollar-debt rush after India’s rating upgrade
- Mercedes steps up electric-van push to counter Deutsche Post
- Priya Ranjan Dasmunsi, senior Congress leader, dies at 72
- Reliance Communications faces risk of insolvency: SC Lowy