Wipro shuts down CFL manufacturing unit at Mysuru
Bengaluru: Wipro Consumer Care and Lighting said it has shut down its lighting manufacturing unit at Mysuru due to a sharp decline in the demand for the compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) products and increasing preference for LED products.
“As required, we notified the government and relevant authorities of the decision to shut down the plant two months ago and have complied with all regulatory requirements,” the company said in a statement.
All 84 workmen were offered a voluntary retirement scheme by the company earlier this year.
Wipro Consumer Care and Lighting said the changing market and technology landscape in the lighting business marked by a sharp decline in the demand for CFL products and increasing preference for LED products over the past two years has rendered continued operations of the Mysuru manufacturing unit “commercially unviable”.
Stating that over the past two years, reduced demand saw production at the facility drop sharply, it said the company has evaluated all possible options and kept the plant operational of over a year at low production levels that are economically unviable.
- Delhi HC reserves order on PSC extension between Cairn India and ONGC for Barmer block
- Hike’s Total app: Everything you need to know
- Star India is not chasing profits from the upcoming IPL season
- Hyderabad University bars media entry on Rohith Vemula’s death anniversary
- HP launches 3D printers in India for Rs2.5 crore