New Delhi: Aditya Roy Kapur and Shraddha Kapoor’s romantic drama OK Jaanu that released last Friday to collections of Rs4.08 crore has been co-produced by Mani Ratnam and Karan Johar. The Hindi film helmed by Shaad Ali is an official remake of Ratnam-directed Tamil movie O Kadhal Kanmani (2015), starring Dulquer Salmaan and Nithya Menen. Over the years, Bollywood has often provided a platform for regional filmmakers to remake their already successful films for a wider audience. Here are 10 times south Indian directors remade their own films in Hindi.
1. Ram Aur Shyam (1967): The Dilip Kumar-starrer was a remake of director Tapi Chanakya’s Telugu blockbuster Ramudu Bheemudu (1964) featuring N.T. Rama Rao in the title role. The Hindi film, which also starred Waheeda Rehman and Mumtaz, in lead roles earned Rs1.2 crore in box office collections.
2. Julie (1975): The Lakshmi-starrer was one of the first Indian films to delve into issues of inter-caste marriage and unwed motherhood. A remake of director K. S. Sethumadhavan’s Malayalam hit Chattakkari (1974), also featuring Lakshmi, the Hindi film netted Rs1.4 crore at the box office.
3. Sadma (1983): Director Balu Mahendra remade his Tamil film Moondram Pirai (1982) with the same cast as the original. The Hindi film featuring Sridevi and Kamal Haasan made Rs2 crore at the box office.
4. Ek Duje Ke Liye (1983): The romantic tragedy was remade from director K. Balachander’s Telugu movie Maro Charitra (1978). Starring Kamal Haasan and Rati Agnihotri, it earned Rs7 crore in box office collections.
5. Himmatwala (1983): The blockbuster comedy drama was remade from director K. Raghavendra Rao’s Telugu movie Ooriki Monagadu (1981). The Hindi film featured Jeetendra and Sridevi in lead roles and made Rs8 crore at the box office.
6. Tohfa (1984): The Jeetendra, Sridevi and Jaya Prada love triangle was a remake of director K. Raghavendra Rao’s Telugu hit Devata (1982). The film that topped the box office chart that year made collections of more than Rs5 crore.
7. Shiva (1990): The action blockbuster directed by Ram Gopal Varma was a remake of his debut Telugu film Siva (1989), both starring Nagarjuna in the lead role. The Hindi film netted Rs2.75 crore in box office collections.
8. Saat Rang Ke Sapne (1998): The Priyadarshan directed film was a remake of his Malayalam movie Thenmavin Kombath (1994). Starring Juhi Chawla and Arvind Swamy, it made a little over Rs1 crore at the box office.
9. Ghajini (2008): The Aamir Khan-starrer was a remake of director A.R. Murugadoss’s Tamil action psychological thriller Gajini (2005). The first Hindi film to cross the Rs100-crore mark ended up making Rs114 crore in box office earnings.
10. Bodyguard (2011): Salman Khan’s romantic action comedy film directed by Siddique was a remake of the director’s own 2010 Malayalam film of the same name. Also starring Kareena Kapoor Khan in the lead role, the Hindi film netted Rs148 crore at the box office.
All figures have been sourced from movie websites Bollywood Hungama, Box Office India and IBOS Network.