After ‘Rock On 2’, 10 other franchise films to look forward to
- Stephanie Zacharek: Criticism has become a kind of boutique interest
- SoftBank seen climbing 36% as Masayoshi Son clarifies tech vision
- Chidambaram slams Election Commission for not announcing Gujarat poll dates
- Breakfast for office: Tarragon omelette and more
- India lose top ODI spot to South Africa in latest ICC rankings
New Delhi: Rock On 2, a sequel to Farhan Akhtar and Arjun Rampal’s 2008 cult classic Rock On!! releases this week. The musical drama, which will see Shraddha Kapoor and a bunch of other new faces join its original ensemble cast, is only the first of the many sequels and franchise films Bollywood has lined up in the coming months. Here’s a look at 10 of them.
1. Force 2: Starring John Abraham and Sonakshi Sinha and directed by Abhinay Deo, the film is a sequel to 2011 action thriller Force, which was directed by Nishikanth Kamath. It is slated for release on 18 November. The older film, a remake of Tamil movie Kaakha Kaakha, featured Abraham and Genelia D’Souza in lead roles and minted Rs.25 crore at the box office.
2. Tum Bin II: T-Series reprises its 2001 romantic drama Tum Bin, also directed by Anubhav Sinha, which earned Rs.4 crore. The new film, starring Neha Sharma, Aditya Seal and Aashim Gulati, will arrive in theatres on 18 November.
3. Kahaani 2: Vidya Balan reprises her award-winning role for director Sujoy Ghosh’s thriller drama, the prequel to which collected Rs.57 crore at the box office. Arjun Rampal joins the cast of the film scheduled for release on 2 December.
4. Jolly LLB 2: Akshay Kumar takes over from Arshad Warsi for the sequel to the National Award-winning courtroom drama directed by Subhash Kapoor which had earned Rs.30 crore at the box office. The new film, which also stars Huma Qureshi, will arrive in theatres on 10 February 2017.
5. Badrinath Ki Dulhania: The romantic comedy starring Varun Dhawan and Alia Bhatt and directed by Shashank Khaitan marks the second instalment of the franchise, which began with the 2014 hit Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania that earned Rs.72 crore at the box office. The film is scheduled for release on 10 March 2017.
6. Baahubali: The Conclusion: Director S.S. Rajamouli returns with the second part to his record-shattering epic historical fiction film, starring Prabhas, Anushka Shetty, Rana Daggubati and Tamannaah Bhatia. The film, which is slated to release in multiple languages on 28 April 2017, is expected to outdo the Rs600 worldwide collections of the first part.
7. Judwaa 2: Producer Sajid Nadiadwala brings the successor to the 1997 Salman Khan hit 20 years after release. Varun Dhawan plays the main lead in the film to be helmed by father David Dhawan, also director of the Rs.11 crore-earning first part. The film is expected to hit the screens on 29 September 2017.
8. Golmaal Again: The fourth instalment of the comedy franchise directed by Rohit Shetty will arrive in theatres next Diwali. No names, apart from Ajay Devgn’s, have been revealed yet. The three parts released until now have together netted about Rs190 crore at the box office.
9. Krrish 4: Filmmaker Rakesh Roshan has announced the next instalment of his superhero series, starring son Hrithik again. The first three parts of the film earned about Rs295 crore at the box office. The film is expected to go on the floors in mid-2017 and will arrive in theatres during Christmas 2018.
10. Student of the Year 2: Filmmaker Karan Johar has announced the sequel to his 2012 romantic drama, starring Tiger Shroff and directed by Punit Malhotra of I Hate Luv Storys fame. The sequel to the original film, which had made Rs70 crore in box office collections, is yet to grab a release date.
All figures have been sourced from movie websites Bollywood Hungama, Box Office India and IBOS Network.