New Delhi: Sidharth Malhotra and Katrina Kaif-starrer Baar Baar Dekho that managed box office collections of Rs.6.81 crore on Friday oscillates between various time periods in its two-and-a-half-hour narrative. Here’s a look at 10 other time travel movies.
1. The Time Machine (1960): The British-American science fiction film directed by George Pal starred Rod Taylor, Yvette Mimieux and Alan Young in lead roles. Based on the 1895 novel of the same name by H. G. Wells, it tells the story of an inventor in Victorian England who constructs a time machine to travel to the future only to discover a divided human race. The film made profits of $245,000.
2. The Philadelphia Experiment (1984): The Stewart Raffill directed film is set in 1943 and tells the story of two sailors whose experiment goes wrong and they find themselves in 1984. Starring Michael Paré, Bobby Di Cicco and Nancy Allen, it made $8 million at the domestic box office.
3. Back to the Future (1985): The science fiction adventure comedy directed by Robert Zemeckis tells the story of a teenager who is sent back in time to meet his parents, then high-school students and accidentally becomes his mother’s love interest. Starring Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd and Lea Thompson, it earned $381 million in box office collections.
4. Fun2shh... Dudes in the 10th Century (2003): The Imtiaz Punjabi comedy featured Iqbal Khan, Anuj Sawhney and Paresh Rawal as three friends transported to the 10th century. It made a little over Rs.1 crore at the box office.
5. The Butterfly Effect (2004): Ashton Kutcher plays a college student who can travel back in time in a way that his adult mind inhabits his young body enabling him to change the past. Directed by Eric Bress, the psychological thriller made $96 million worldwide.
6. Love Story 2050 (2008): The science fiction romantic film starring Harman Baweja and Priyanka Chopra revolves around time-travel for love. The Harry Baweja-directed film opened to negative reviews and earned Rs.5 crore at the box office.
7. Action Replayy (2010): The romantic comedy, based loosely on Back to the Future and The Time Machine, features Aditya Roy Kapur who goes back in time to his parents played by Akshay Kumar and Aishwarya Rai. Directed by Vipul Shah, the film made Rs.29 crore in box office collections.
8. Looper (2012): The neo-noir science fiction thriller written and directed by Rian Johnson revolves around criminal syndicates using contract killers called “loopers” to kill victims sent through time travel. Starring Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Emily Blunt, it made $176 million at the box office.
9. Dangerous Ishhq (2012): Karisma Kapoor’s comeback film spans a period of four centuries and tells four different stories set in different time periods. The Vikram Bhatt-directed supernatural thriller made Rs. 6 crore at the box office.
10. Teri Meri Kahaani (2012): The Kunal Kohli-directed romantic drama featured Shahid Kapoor and Priyanka Chopra as a couple in three different time periods. A remake of the Taiwanese film Three Times, it made Rs.25 crore at the box office.
All figures have been sourced from movie websites Box Office Mojo and Bollywood Hungama