Mumbai: Former Royal Challengers Bangalore captain Anil Kumble announced his decision to withdraw from the upcoming Indian Premier League 2011 auction according to a statement issued by the Board of Control for Cricket in India. Kumble’s decision comes barely four days before the auction goes live in Bengaluru.
The statement issued on Tuesday by BCCI secretary and president elect N Srinivasan said that the legendary Indian leg-spinner had cited business commitments, including his association with cricket and wildlife in various capacities as the reasons for the withdrawal.
“I wish to withdraw from the players auction for IPL IV scheduled for the 8th and 9th of January 2011 in Bangalore .” Kumble was quoted in the statement. “I have enjoyed my stint at the IPL so far and thank all concerned for the support extended,” he said.
The former Indian skipper was largely responsible for RCB’s turn around in the Indian Premier League. After being named captain in IPL 2009 season, Kumble led his team to the final of the Twenty20. A year later, Kumble inspired his team to third position in the 2010 edition. Consequently, the team qualified for the Airtel Champions League Twenty20 tournament twice under his able leadership. Kumble also took 45 wickets in the three editions of Indian Premier League.
However, only Delhi batsman Virat Kohli was retained by RCB for this season. This is unlike other francisees who chose to retain their senior players. The Mumbai India for instance retained Sachin Tendulkar.
Kumble was among the 22 players with the highest reserve price of USD 400,000 for the IPL auction to be held in Bangalore this year. He also recently won the election for the post of President of the Karnataka State Cricket Association in November 2010.