Euro Cup: Giroud, Payet score, give France 2-1 win over Romania in opening match
Dimitri Payet scores a stunning late winner with a strike from 20 metres as hosts France beat plucky Romania in the opener of the European Championship
Latest News »
- Amazon’s pre- GST sale will have gadget lovers excited
- US declaration on Syed Salahuddin as global terrorist may choke his funding
- 100 days of Yogi Adityanath govt: Booklet highlights achievements
- Aadhaar case: Supreme Court refuses interim order against govt’s notification
- The Honor 8 Pro’s expected arrival should worry OnePlus
Paris: France midfielder Dimitri Payet scored a stunning late winner with a strike from 20 metres as the hosts beat plucky Romania 2-1 in the opening game of Euro 2016 on Friday.
Olivier Giroud had put France ahead with a header in the 57th minute but Romania equalised with a penalty by Bogdan Stancu eight minutes later and looked to be heading for a draw.
Anthony Martial upped the tempo for France when he came on as a substitute for Paul Pogba with 13 minutes left but Payet was the game’s stand-out performer and he curled a beautiful left-foot shot into the top corner in the 89th minute.
The win puts France top of Group A on three points, with Albanian and Switzerland due to meet in Lens on Saturday. Reuters