NDTV Lifestyle may launch Hindi channel next year

NDTV Lifestyle may launch Hindi channel next year
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Mon, Dec 07 2009. 11 14 PM IST

New plans: NDTV Lifestyle CEO Smeeta Chakrabarti. Harikrishna Katragadda/Mint
New plans: NDTV Lifestyle CEO Smeeta Chakrabarti. Harikrishna Katragadda/Mint
Updated: Mon, Dec 07 2009. 11 14 PM IST
New Delhi: NDTV Lifestyle, a subsidiary of NDTV Networks Plc., is mulling launching a Hindi lifestyle channel in 2010 in partnership with US-based broadcaster Scripps Networks Interactive Inc.
Chief executive officer Smeeta Chakrabarti said NDTV Lifestyle may also opt to dub some of its content into regional languages. “We are considering the option...but we haven’t finalised it as yet,” she said.
New plans: NDTV Lifestyle CEO Smeeta Chakrabarti. Harikrishna Katragadda/Mint
In November, NDTV announced that Scripps Networks Interactive was acquiring a 69% stake in NDTV Lifestyle for $55 million. NDTV will retain the remaining 31% stake.
NDTV Lifestyle, which operates the food and lifestyle channel NDTV Good Times, is targeted at tier I and II cities and so the company is planning a multi-lingual approach to expand its reach, Chakrabarti said.
“Apart from Discovery Networks launching its content in various regional languages, this space is really not well tested,” said Frank D’Souza, a media and entertainment analyst with audit firm BMR Advisors. The company will save in terms of additional cost for content, but this would have to be weighed against issues such as bandwidth and reach of the channel, he added.
After its deal with Scripps, which globally runs channels such as HGTV, Food Network, DIY Network, Fine Living Network and Great American Country, NDTV Lifestyle is set to branch into channels targeted at specific lifestyle genres.
Chakrabarti said the firm is likely to break even by the next fiscal year. In the quarter ended 30 September, parent firm NDTV narrowed its net loss to Rs85.59 crore from Rs119.38 crore a year ago, but this was bigger than its Rs83.41 crore loss in the June quarter.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Mon, Dec 07 2009. 11 14 PM IST