Ten Bollywood movie franchises that have been successful
New Delhi: Vin Diesel-starrer Fast and Furious 8, which opened to spectacular reviews and collections of Rs8.5 crore in India last week, is the latest example of a Hollywood franchise that refuses to lose steam. While Bollywood may not have had exactly the same luck when it comes to sequels, here are 10 movie franchises that have stood the test of time.
1. Dhoom: Yash Raj Films’ action film series has belted out three movies so far, making Rs31 crore, Rs81 crore and Rs260 crore in box office collections, respectively. Abhishek Bachchan and Uday Chopra play central characters, while actors John Abraham, Hrithik Roshan and Aamir Khan appeared as antagonists in the three films, respectively.
2. Krrish: Rakesh Roshan’s science fiction superhero films star son Hrithik Roshan in the lead. The three movies, beginning with Koi...Mil Gaya in 2003, have made Rs47 crore, Rs72 crore and Rs175 crore, respectively.
3. Raaz: Mukesh Bhatt’s horror film series has featured actors Bipasha Basu, Emraan Hashmi and Kangana Ranaut in lead roles. The four films have earned Rs21 crore, Rs25 crore, Rs67 crore and Rs24 crore, respectively.
4. Golmaal: The three films in Rohit Shetty’s comedy drama series have netted Rs29 crore, Rs51 crore and Rs108 crore, respectively. The movies have featured actors Ajay Devgn, Kareena Kapoor Khan and Tusshar Kapoor in lead roles, among others.
5. Sarkar: The crime drama thrillers, set against the backdrop of Marathi politics, have been directed by Ram Gopal Varma and feature Amitabh Bachchan in the lead. The two released films have made Rs24 crore and Rs34 crore, respectively, while a third project is due for release in May.
6. Masti: Director Indra Kumar’s adult comedy series feature Vivek Oberoi, Aftab Shivdasani and Riteish Deshmukh in lead roles. The three released films have earned Rs20 crore, Rs91 crore and Rs14 crore in box office collections, respectively.
7. Murder: Vishesh Films’ erotic thriller series includes three films so far, having made Rs15 crore, Rs47 crore and Rs18 crore, respectively. The first two movies starred Emraan Hashmi in the lead role, while the third featured Randeep Hooda.
8. Kyaa Kool Hain Hum: Ekta Kapoor’s adult comedy series has spawned three projects featuring Tusshar Kapoor with Riteish Deshmukh in the first two and Aftab Shivdasani in the third. They netted Rs15 crore, Rs42 crore and Rs23 crore, respectively.
9. 1920: The horror film series has been written by Vikram Bhatt and features actors like Rajneesh Duggal, Aftab Shivdasani and Sharman Joshi in lead roles. The three films made Rs10 crore, Rs20 crore and Rs15 crore, respectively.
10. Housefull: Akshay Kumar and Riteish Deshmukh’s slapstick comedy series has belted out three projects so far, two directed by Sajid Khan and the third by Sajid-Farhad. All three have been money-spinners, making Rs72 crore, Rs111 crore and Rs108 crore, respectively.
All figures have been sourced from movie website Box Office India.