Tamil film ‘Visaranai’ is India’s official Oscars 2017 entry
- Shameful your boss silencing you on Rafale: Rahul Gandhi to Nirmala Sitharaman
- Women in focus at global entrepreneurship summit this year
- National Herald: Sonia, Rahul Gandhi accuse Swamy of delaying case
- Farooq Abdullah asks Centre to look into condition of war widows
- Rafale jet purchase win-win partnership for both France and India: French minister
New Delhi: National Award-winning Tamil film Visaranai is India’s official entry in the foreign language film category at the Oscars next year.
“Visaranai was selected out of the 29 films that were in the race,” Film Federation of India secretary general Supran Sen told PTI. The crime-thriller, produced by actor-filmmaker Dhanush, is written and directed by Vetrimaaran.
It is based on the novel “Lock Up” by M. Chandrakumar. Featuring Dinesh Ravi, Anandhi and Aadukalam Murugadoss in the lead roles, the film deals with police brutality, corruption, and loss of innocence in the face of injustice. Read more .
“Visaaranai #Anbum #amaithiyum malarathum (’Let love and peace bloom’),” Dinesh tweeted in Tamil. The movie won three honours—Best Feature Film in Tamil, Best Supporting Actor for Samuthirakani and Best Editing for Kishore Te—at the 63rd National Film Awards, held earlier this year.
The film premiered in the Orrizonti (Horizons) section of the 72nd Venice Film Festival, where it won the Amnesty International Italia Award.