×
Home Companies Industry Politics Money Opinion LoungeMultimedia Science Education Sports TechnologyConsumerSpecialsMint on Sunday
×

HC refuses to stay release of ’Rajneeti‘

HC refuses to stay release of ’Rajneeti‘
PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Tue, Jun 01 2010. 12 30 AM IST
Updated: Tue, Jun 01 2010. 09 19 AM IST
Mumbai: Two different petitioners on Monday sought stay to the release of Prakash Jha-directed ‘Rajneeti’, but Bombay High Court refused to entertain both the petitions.
The film, starring Katrina Kaif, Nana Patekar and Manoj Bajpayee among others, is releasing on 4 June.
In one petition, Naseem Khan, who claims to be a Congress worker, moved High Court for interim stay after sessions court rejected his application last week.
According to Khan, the character played by Kaif in the film is based on Congress president Sonia Gandhi, and the film “defames” her. He has also taken exception to Kaif playing this role.
But Justice Rajesh Ketkar, the vacation judge in the High Court, said that “there was no urgency”, and refused to pass any order.
In another petition, Yogendra Konkar, a scriptwriter, claimed that the film is based on his own script, which had a similar title (Rajniti: A Political Saga).
His lawyer claimed that Konkar had met Jha and showed him the script. However, Jha’s lawyer said that the director never met Konkar.
Jha’s lawyer also pointed out that while Jha’s script was registered with Indian Motion Pictures Association in December 2008, Konkar’s script was registered in July 2009.
Vacation judge S J Khathawala refused to stay the film, saying that two scripts were different.
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Tue, Jun 01 2010. 12 30 AM IST