Ten times Shah Rukh Khan battled box-office clashes
Shah Rukh Khan’s gangster drama ‘Raees’ arrives in theatres this week along with Hrithik Roshan-starrer Kaabil, but this not the first time that King Khan is battling box-office clashes in his illustrious career
Latest News »
- GST: Snack sales likely to be hit as higher tax may force makers to hike prices
- US labour secretary calls for increasing salary of H1B visa holders
- Axis Bank shares gain 4% after it declares 80% bad loans as secured
- US demands overseas airport security boost, not laptop ban
- Review: Moto Z2 Play is thinner, mostly better and still very mod-able
New Delhi: After much delay and anticipation, Shah Rukh Khan’s gangster drama Raees arrives in theatres this week along with Hrithik Roshan-starrer Kaabil. Khan, though, is no stranger to movie clashes, having had many major releases hit screens the same day as other big-ticket offerings over the years.
Here’s a look at 10 times the actor battled box office clashes.
1. Baazigar (1993): Khan’s breakthrough role in director duo Abbas-Mustan’s crime thriller played out the same day as an Ajay Devgn and Urmila Matondkar-starrer called Bedardi. The former netted Rs 9 crore at the box office while the latter managed Rs2 crore.
2. Ram Jaane (1995): The action film co-starring Juhi Chawla was directed by Rajiv Mehra and made Rs 6.70 crore in box-office earnings. It hit screens the same day as Aamir Khan-starrer Akele Hum Akele Tum that earned Rs6.50 crore.
3. Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995): Aditya Chopra’s eternally loved directorial debut that remains one of the most successful Indian films ever arrived in theatres the same day as Madhuri Dixit and Rishi Kapoor’s Yaraana that netted Rs5 crore. DDLJ earned about Rs53 crore at the time of release.
4. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998): Karan Johar’s blockbuster romantic drama featuring Kajol and Rani Mukerji had netted Rs 42 crore in box-office collections. The Diwali release was vying for audiences’ attention that year along with David Dhawan’s comedy Bade Miyan Chote Miyan starring Amitabh Bachchan and Govinda that made about Rs16 crore.
5. Mohabbatein (2000): The Aditya Chopra-directed multi-starrer competed with Vidhu Vinod Chopra’s action drama, Mission Kashmir featuring Sanjay Dutt, Hrithik Roshan and Preity Zinta. The former made Rs41 crore in box-office collections, while the later earned Rs22 crore.
6. Veer Zaara (2004): Yash Chopra’s romantic drama featuring Khan along with Preity Zinta and Rani Mukerji clashed with Abbas Mustan directed Aitraaz starring Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor Khan and Priyanka Chopra that Diwali. The former made more than Rs19 crore at the box office while the latter managed Rs7 crore. Incidentally, there were two other releases that week—Ram Gopal Varma’s dance film Naach and a coloured version of K. Asif’s Mughal-e-Azam.
7. Don (2006): Long before the purported clash that never happened between Raees and Salman Khan’s Sultan last year, the Indian box office had seen a face-off between the two actors in 2006.While Shah Rukh’s remake of the 1978 Amitabh Bachchan hit made more than Rs24 crore, Salman’s romantic film, Jaan-E-Mann co-starring Preity Zinta and Akshay Kumar managed Rs12 crore.
8. Om Shanti Om (2007): It was a much-hyped Diwali clash between Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s Saawariya that marked the debut of star kids Ranbir Kapoor and Sonam Kapoor and Khan’s retro saga Om Shanti Om that introduced actor Deepika Padukone. While Saawariya earned Rs24 crore, Om Shanti Om netted nearly Rs70 crore.
9. Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012): Filmmaker Yash Chopra’s last directed movie had released alongside Ajay Devgn-starrer Son of Sardaar. The Khan and Katrina Kaif romantic drama earned more than Rs120 crore while the Devgn comedy didn’t lag too far behind with Rs105 crore.
10. Dilwale (2015): Khan’s romantic action comedy directed by Rohit Shetty was pitted against Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s war epic Bajirao Mastani in yet another anticipated clash. The former made Rs148 crore in collections while the latter earned Rs184 crore, besides much critical acclaim.
All figures have been sourced from movie websites Bollywood Hungama and IBOS Network