From ‘2.0’ to ‘Baahubali: The Conclusion’, 10 action films making news
- CBI widens PNB fraud probe to include bank’s top brass
- The confusion over rural electrification in India
- One year on, it’s finally all about the ‘software’, Chandra
- N. Chandrasekaran set to focus on new businesses in smart mobility, cities
- N. Chandrasekaran completes one year as Tata Sons chairman, stabilizes group
New Delhi: Vidyut Jamwal-starrer Commando 2: The Black Money Trail, which releases this week, is only the first of the many Hindi and Hollywood films making up an action extravaganza for the audience this year. Here’s a look at 10 other films action buffs can watch out for.
1. Logan: Marvel’s latest Wolverine film is the 10th instalment in the X-Men film series, as well as the third and final Wolverine film following X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) and The Wolverine (2013). Directed by James Mangold and starring Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Richard E. Grant, it arrives in theatres this week on 3 March.
2. Naam Shabana: The spy thriller directed by Shivam Niar is a spin-off from Akshay Kumar’s 2015 film Baby with Taapsee Pannu reprising her role as Shabana. The film is also scheduled to be released in Tamil and Telugu on 31 March.
3. The Fate of the Furious: Vin Diesel’s eighth instalment of The Fast and the Furious franchise releases in India on 8 April. Directed by F. Gary Gray, it is expected to replicate and build on the success of its seventh offering which emerged as the highest-grossing Hollywood film in India when released in 2015, collecting more than Rs100 crore.
4. Baahubali: The Conclusion: S.S Rajamouli’s epic historical fiction film, a sequel to his 2015 blockbuster, releases on 28 April. The film stars Prabhas, Anushka Shetty, Rana Dagubatti and Tamannaah Bhatia in the lead.
5. Baywatch: The action-comedy directed by Seth Gordon is based on the television series of the same name. Starring Dwayne Johnson, Zac Efron, Alexandra Daddario, Kelly Rohrbach and our very own Priyanka Chopra, it will hit screens on 26 May.
6. Wonder Woman: The superhero film based on the DC Comics character of the same name is directed by Patty Jenkins. The film, starring Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Connie Nielsen, Robin Wright and Danny Huston, releases in India on 2 June.
7. Spider-Man: Homecoming: The superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character will be the second reboot of the Spider-Man film franchise and the 16th film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Directed by Jon Watts and starring Tom Holland, Michael Keaton, Zendaya and Donald Glover, it arrives in theatres on 7 July.
8. Reloaded: The film, starring Sidharth Malhotra and Jacqueline Fernandez, is directed by Raj Nidimoru and Krishna D.K. The Fox Star Studio production will arrive in theatres on 25 August.
9.2.0: Rajinikanth reprises his role from the 2010 science fiction Tamil film Enthiran, directed by S. Shankar. The film, in which Akshay Kumar and Amy Jackson are joining the cast, will see a simultaneous release in Hindi, Tamil and Telugu on 18 October.
10.Tiger Zinda Hai: The year ends with Salman Khan and Katrina Kaif reuniting for the second instalment of the Tiger film series. The film directed by Ali Abbas Zafar and produced by Yash Raj Films releases on 22 December.