Madame Tussauds unveils Amitabh Bachchan waxwork for Delhi opening
Latest News »
- Palaniswami, Panneerselvam express confidence on AIADMK merger
- US President’s arts council quits over Donald Trump’s Charlottesville remarks
- Bankruptcy code can help deepen bond markets: Sebi chief Ajay Tyagi
- Govt plans monthly fellowship of Rs70,000 for IIT, IISc researchers
- Carl Icahn quits White House role amid conflict of interest questions
New Delhi: Madame Tussauds unveiled a waxwork of Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan on Thursday ahead of the museum’s opening later this year in the Indian capital of New Delhi.
Bachchan, 74, is one of Indian cinema’s most revered and influential actors and has been a mainstay on screens for five decades.
“We looked at the culture and of course, we have a lot of Indian visitors in our existing attractions as well. Their feedback is so positive ... that we said we need to be there,” Marcel Kloos, Merlin Entertainments’ director of new openings in emerging markets said.
Guests at the unveiling photographed themselves alongside Bachchan, as well as with a waxwork of American popstar Lady Gaga.
The Delhi branch above the city centre’s famed Regal Cinema is India’s first Madame Tussauds, the museum’s twenty-third globally and its ninth in Asia, where a growing middle class are prepared to pay to see wax figures of their favourite stars.
Wax statues of leading figures from Bollywood, sports and politics will feature in Delhi including one of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi — who is already in the London branch — as well as cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar. Reuters