•Cut out all frills, thrills and decorative elements. The masculine almirah is crafted from straight lines.
• Use thick sections and structures. This will increase cost but exude a sense of proportion and strength.
Use no less than two finishes. And no more than three. For instance combine veneer and mirror. Or veneer, mirror and leather.
• Contrast your finishes subtly: a dark matt veneer, a smoked glass mirror and warm tan leather.
• The almirah must be sectioned into clear independent areas. Hangers for pants, shirts and coats, slim shelves for stacked shirts.
• Use interior lighting. Choose compact flourescent lamps for coolness.
• Finish everything off with a small refrigerator to house your personal mini bar.
• Break structural monotony with positive and negative elements: some closed sections, some open ones.
• Build in a small safe for documents and valuables
• Accessories must have their own space: tie drawers, watch and jewellery drawers, belt hooks, pull-out shoe racks and pneumatic pull-down hanging racks.
Commandments revealed by Varrun Motihar, director of New Delhi interior consultancy Mova1