10 Bollywood films which saw heroines in action sequences
From Sonakshi Sinha in ‘Force 2’ and ‘Akira’ to Aishwarya Rai Bachchan in ‘Dhoom 2’—recent Hindi films where female leads took to action
Latest News »
- AAP changes tack: No direct attack on PM Modi, slams BJP instead
- Ivanka Trump must testify in shoe knockoff suit against company, says US court
- Hopes fade in China for 118 still missing day after landslide
- Western, southern states control over 60% of bank credit: RBI
- Narendra Modi must raise H-1B visa issue with Donald Trump: Indians in US
New Delhi: Director Abhinay Deo’s action thriller Force 2 which opened to Rs6.05 crore last Friday saw lead woman actor Sonakshi Sinha matching her male counterpart John Abraham step-for-step when it comes to death-defying action sequences. Bollywood may not have given up all its stereotypes but the damsel in distress is not an image too many women actors have to conform to anymore. Here are 10 recent Hindi films where the women actors were seen in action.
1. Akira (2016): Barely two months ago, Sonakshi Sinha played the title role in A.R. Murugadoss’ action film, a remake of Tamil thriller Mouna Guru. The film earned Rs26 crore in box office collections.
2. Jai Gangaajal (2016): Earlier this year, director Prakash Jha’s crime drama saw Priyanka Chopra play a cop battling prejudices in small town India. A follow-up to Jha’s 2003 hit Gangaajal, the film made Rs32 crore at the box office.
3. Baby (2015): Director Neeraj Pandey’s spy thriller featured one of the most impressive action sequences choreographed for a woman actor (Taapsee Pannu) in recent times. The film that starred Akshay Kumar in the lead earned Rs81 crore in box office collections.
4. Mardaani (2014): The Pradeep Sarkar directed crime thriller saw Rani Mukerji play a cop, out to solve a human trafficking case. The film netted Rs35 crore at the box office.
5. Krrish 3 (2013): Kangana Ranaut played a mutant straddling karate, judo and taekwondo in Rakesh Roshan’s superhero science fiction film. The film that also starred Hrithik Roshan, Priyanka Chopra and Vivek Oberoi in pivotal roles made Rs175 crore in box office collections.
6. Agent Vinod (2012): Sriram Raghavan’s action spy film saw Kareena Kapoor get as grimy as male lead Saif Ali Khan. That didn’t help the stylized film too much that only ended up with collections of Rs43 crore at the box office.
7. Ek Tha Tiger (2012): Kabir Khan’s action thriller saw Katrina Kaif play a Pakistani spy on the run with Salman Khan, an Indian RAW agent. The film made more than Rs186 crore at the box office.
8. Chandni Chowk to China (2009): Deepika Padukone, playing a double role, joined in the stunts for the martial arts comedy starring Akshay Kumar. The Nikhil Advani-directed film made Rs29 crore at the box office.
9. Drona (2008): The fantasy superhero flick saw Priyanka Chopra attempt martial arts as diverse as kalaripayattu, chhau, gatka and sword fighting. The high-budget film directed by Goldie Behl made Rs8 crore at the box office.
10. Dhoom 2 (2006): The second instalment of Yash Raj Films’ popular action franchise saw Aishwarya Rai Bachchan and Bipasha Basu partake in the stunts with elan. The film directed by Sanjay Gadhvi made Rs81 crore at the box office.