New Delhi: The Indian Premier League, or IPL, hung in the balance on Monday as talks with the government on security matters failed to resolve match dates.
“There has been no decision,” N. Srinivasan, secretary, Board of Control of Cricket in India, or BCCI, told reporters after a 90-minute meeting of senior IPL administrators with the Union home ministry officials.
“The home ministry conveyed its concerns and we also explained our views and the concerns of the various stakeholders. I don’t want to say anything more.”
Unclear fate: A file photo of an IPL match from season one. There is no clear consensus on the dates for this year’s event yet. Shailendra Bhojak / PTI
Less than a month remains before the scheduled 10 April opening of the second season of the multi-million dollar Twenty20 league that features some of the world’s leading cricketers.
The government last week rejected a revised IPL schedule on the grounds that it could not provide adequate security to the tournament because it overlapped with the general election.
The tournament is due to be held from 10 April to 24 May, while the elections will take place across the country in five phases from 16 April to 13 May with counting of votes on 16 May.
The government wanted the 59-match schedule to be adjusted in such a way that states hosting games do not have to pull out security forces on election duty to guard the tournament. “We told them it will not be possible to provide central paramilitary forces for the IPL because of the elections,” home ministry spokesman Onkarmal Kedia said on Monday.
“We want them to draw up a schedule after consulting state governments on the dates when they can provide security. The ministry will take a decision after receiving a new schedule.”