Mumbai: Sachin Tendulkar today became the latest celebrity to pull out of the Olympic torch relay run in New Delhi, just a day before the event.
The master batsman has been advised by his IPL team physio not to take part in the event in view of his groin injury.
Sources close to Mumbai Indians team said physio A Ijaz has told Tendulkar to skip in the event.
Indian Olympic Association President Suresh Kalmadi, however, said he has not received any information in this regard.
“IOA has not received any communication from Tendulkar withdrawing from the torch relay. He told me a few days back that he will be arriving in Delhi on April 17 morning. I have not received any communication to the contrary, we have to wait and see,” Kalmadi said.
IOA General Secretary Randhir Singh was also not aware of any such information.
The name of the runners in the torch relay and other details of the event will be announced later in the day.
National football captain Baichung Bhutia and India’s first IPS officer Kiran Bedi had earlier pulled out of the event. While Bhutia decided to skip the event in support of the Tibetan cause, Bedi had cited “scuffing” security arrangement.
Yesterday, Bollywood actor Soha Ali Khan had pulled out of the torch relay saying she had prior engagements to attend.