New Delhi: Two days before season three of the Indian Premier League Season starts, the News Broadcasters Association, representing 34 television channels, hasn’t called off its threat to boycott the tournament because of stringent media access guidelines.
Lalit Modi, chairman and commissioner of IPL, said at a press conference in Mumbai on Tuesday that a fresh proposal with more flexible coverage options had been agreed upon by the NBA, IPL and rights-holding broadcaster Multiscreen Media Pvt Ltd on Sunday. That accord didn’t hold.
The NBA “agreed (to the fresh proposal) then but came back to say they needed more concessions, which the governing council cannot agree,” Modi said.
NBA president Sameer Manchanda could not be reached for comment but the association’s secretary general Annie Joseph confirmed that there was no change in its stand. “Our advisory continues,” she said. The advisory was issued on 16 February, she said.
That’s likely to change, according to a senior executive of a news channel.
“There are still two days to go before IPL begins and that is plenty time to come to an agreement,” he said. According to him, the channels have too much at stake, with associated programming already planned.
“In the television industry everything is up for interpretation so we just want to make sure of every clause in the guidelines and are in the process of clearing up these doubts,” he said. “We have received a clarification from IPL and a clarification will be sent from our end as well.”
The dispute revolves around archival footage and is between NBA and IPL, said Rohit Gupta, president, network sales, Multiscreen Media.
“Because 72 hours (after the match), all IPL footage is the property of IPL and BCCI (Board of Control for Cricket in India),” he said.