Barnes & Noble to create co-branded Nook tablets with Samsung
- Finance ministry seeks RBI’s view on lapses in banking system
- Govt extends transmission charge waiver to solar, wind power till March 2022
- Star India wins audio-visual production rights for IPL, BCCI domestic season
- Tripura records 89.8% voter turnout in assembly elections: EC
- SC asks Centre, poll panel to respond to plea for equal powers of 2 ECs at par with CEC
The new devices will combine the Nook software with Samsung’s Galaxy Tab 4 hardware, creating full-service tablets that also can access Barnes & Noble’s collection of more than 3 million books, magazines and newspapers, according to a statement on Thursday. A 7-inch model will debut in the US in early August and be sold through Barnes & Noble retail locations and its website.
Barnes & Noble, a bookstore chain with almost 700 stores, has been scaling back its investments in the money-losing Nook unit after earlier tablet models flopped with consumers. The company, which has struggled to compete with Amazon’s Kindle and Apple’s iPad, hasn’t released a new device since October.
The Samsung deal will bring world-class technology to Nook, Barnes & Noble chief executive officer Michael Huseby said in the statement. Partnering with Samsung brings our customers great new products and evidences our commitment to our Nook customers and growing our digital content business.
Barnes & Noble said in February that it was planning to team up with a manufacturer to create new Nooks. BLOOMBERG