IIT fees for foreign students set at Rs6 lakh per annum
- Shutdown extends into third day as US Senate fails to end impasse
- Apollo Micro Systems shares trade 78% higher on stock market debut
- Bomb explosion in Thailand kills 3, wounds 18
- Market Live: Sensex hits new record high, Nifty crosses 10,900, ONGC shares up 6%
- Oxfam survey points India’s rising income inequality ahead of WEF
New Delhi: Foreign students who are selected to the coveted Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) through JEE (Advanced) or GATE exams will have to pay an annual fee of Rs6 lakh per year.
According to officials in the HRD ministry, the issue was discussed in a meeting of the IIT council and as per the decision taken the annual tuition fee has been fixed at Rs6 lakh per annum while suitable scholarships may be provided in certain basis.
In a bid to attract more international talent, the IITs for the first time are planning to hold their entrance tests in Singapore, UAE, Ethiopia and SAARC nations, except Pakistan next year to select foreign students for undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Fees for Indian students at the IITs were earlier this year increased from Rs90,000 to Rs2 lakh. However, there is a total fee waiver for the differently abled and students belonging to the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes and weaker sections.