NEET, JEE may be conducted twice a year
New Delhi: The national medical entrance exam, National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) and engineering entrance exam, Joint Entrance Examination (JEE), might be conducted twice a year to give an opportunity to the students to bring out their best performance, the Lok Sabha was informed on Monday.
Union minister of state for human resource development (HRD) Upendra Kushwaha said, in response to a written question in the lower house of parliament, the centre was setting up a National Testing Agency (NTA), an autonomous and self- sustained premier testing organisation, to conduct the entrance exams for the higher educational institutions.
“The NTA will initially conduct those entrance exams which are held by the CBSE. The exams will be conducted online at least twice a year, thereby giving an adequate opportunity to the candidates to bring out their best,” Kushwaha said. Both NEET for admission to medical colleges and JEE for admission to engineering colleges are currently conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
The CBSE has conveyed its inhibitions to the HRD ministry about conducting the exams in future, saying they are overburdened with the massive exercise.
- Emerging fault lines in data protection
- Downside protection for market will come from better earnings: Mahesh Patil
- How Union Budget 2018 impacts individual taxpayers
- UDP is going to cross halfway mark in Meghalaya elections on its own: Paul Lyngdoh
- Congress seen setting agenda for Karnataka elections 2018