25 March: on way to 15th Lok Sabha

25 March: on way to 15th Lok Sabha
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Wed, Mar 25 2009. 05 53 PM IST
Updated: Wed, Mar 25 2009. 05 53 PM IST
After facing heat for its advice to BJP not to field Varun Gandhi in the elections for his anti-Muslim speeches, the Election Commission is likely to slap a notice on Samajwadi Party leader Mulayam Singh Yadav for allegedly threatening a woman poll officer for cancelling arms licenses in Uttar Pradesh.
Click here to watch video
Taking note of Mulayam’s controversial remarks against District Magistrate Ministhy Dileep at the meeting in Mainpuri, the UP electoral officer on Tuesday forwarded a report along with the CD containing the footage to the Commission.
Yadav had warned that he would register a complaint with the EC against the DM whom he accused of losing her sense of proportion and not being able to differentiate between a criminal and a common man. An angry Yadav had also suggested that she should get her “head checked” and asked her to mend ways within a week.
The SP supremo was already under the EC’s scanner for his alleged distribution of money to the people at a Holi function. The EC is yet to decide on Yadav’s reply on its notice on the incident.
Slamming the poll body on its action on the Gandhi issue, the BJP alleged that the EC was being “partisan” in targeting Varun Gandhi, while letting off others.
“The leader of Mulayam Singh Yadav’s stature directly threatening a returning officer is a serious matter. The Election Commission must take suo motu notice and initiate action,” BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
— PTI
BJP’s proposed rally at Azamgarh called off
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) prime ministerial candidate L.K. Advani’s scheduled election rally on 28 March in Azamgarh district has been cancelled, sources said on Wednesday.
The rally was called off as the district administration denied permission citing security reasons, BJP district president Vinod Rai said.
“We have informed about the district administration’s decision to the state party chief,” he said.
However, district magistrate G.S. Priyardarshi denied the charges and said permission was granted for holding the rally at Hafizpur and there was no security concerns.
About cancellation of the rally, he said it was the decision of the BJP itself.
The district in eastern Uttar Pradesh had been in news for the wrong reasons after arrests of a number of youths on terror charges following the Batla House encounter in New Delhi.
Sixteen districts in the region are going to polls in the first phase of Lok Sabha elections on 16 April.
— PTI
Comment E-mail Print Share
First Published: Wed, Mar 25 2009. 05 53 PM IST