New Delhi: India is on an accelerated growth path where industrial appetite for energy has become insatiable. Non–renewable energy sources are finite and dear. Against this backdrop it is heartening to note recent developments and trends in renewable/non-renewable energy sources, which have been encouraging, keeping in view the country’s long-term energy demand.
The challenge for industry and consumers is to harness the existing resource efficiently, examine captive options, and explore alternative sources. Energy Management, in short is a need of the hour. These were the highlights of a national convention organized by CII on the theme.
The conference discussed transmission and distribution problems, power solutions, power back-up sources and regulatory issues, especially those relating to environment protection. Participants from the industry, government and allied institutions shared their views and experiences on energy and power solutions.
Future Energy scenario: Trends
* Explore solar energy options through space based solar satellites
* Solar thermal air conditioning
* Trends in energy efficient solutions
* Alternative fuels for power generation
* Innovative options like beaming solar energy through space based satellite by converting them into micro waves can have implications on saving cost on energy related infrastrucure
Issues of concern
* Bridge demand-supply gap by increasing energy efficiency
* Technological breakthrough needed in solar technology
* Capitalize captive power generation, energy labeling for energy efficiency and waste to energy and carbon credits.
* Collaborative approach called for, to develop blue print for energy management
* Good data system to be in place