GST rates: Here’s what will change from today
- Satyam case: Price Waterhouse moves SAT against Sebi order
- India a favourable market for fashion retailers, says report
- Direct tax mop-up jumps 19% to Rs6.89 trillion this fiscal
- TCS on client win spree, expands pact with US acoustic company Shure
- Benjamin Netanyahu says US embassy could move to Jerusalem within a year
In only a few hours from now, India will launch the Goods and Services (GST) that aims to bring the country under a uniform tax regime. The GST launch event will take place at the Parliament at midnight on Friday.
GST rates have been fixed for over 1,000 items, and the GST Council has taken care that the new tax slabs are as close to the current structure to ensure that the transition is revenue-neutral.
Although there are four tax slabs—5%, 12%, 18% and 28%—most of the commodities fall in the 12% and 18% slabs. Here’s a list of items on which tax rates will change after the GST launch.