Idea Cellular to focus on expanding coverage
Latest News »
- Shivraj Singh Chouhan will lead BJP in Madhya Pradesh polls: Amit Shah
- Sharad Yadav free to decide own course: Nitish Kumar
- West Bengal flood situation improves, death toll reaches 55
- Narendra Modi expresses anguish over Utkal Express derailment
- GST Council extends July payment and return filing deadline to 25 August
Mumbai: Idea Cellular Ltd said it is focussed on expanding coverage rather than build capacity, in an investor presentation released on the BSE. “Current mobile broadband coverage (sic) 400 million Indians, plan to reach 500 million Indians by March 2017,” the firm said adding that the rural segment is its key strength.
Idea is also planning its own range of digital services and app ecosystem. Plans include launching videos, music and games by the end of this fiscal and TV, a news and magazines app, storage chat and Idea Money next year.
This would be in competition to the Jio app from rival Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd, which announced the launch of its services and tariffs on Thursday.