Idea Cellular to focus on expanding coverage
- Bangladesh top court cancels bail for Khaleda Zia in corruption case
- Lalu Prasad convicted in fourth fodder scam case
- SaaS startup CustomerSuccessBox raises $1 million from pi Ventures and Axilor
- Blockchain startups in India shift to overseas markets to raise ICOs
- Sony India appoints Sunil Nayyar as managing director
Mumbai: Idea Cellular Ltd said it is focussed on expanding coverage rather than build capacity, in an investor presentation released on the BSE. “Current mobile broadband coverage (sic) 400 million Indians, plan to reach 500 million Indians by March 2017,” the firm said adding that the rural segment is its key strength.
Idea is also planning its own range of digital services and app ecosystem. Plans include launching videos, music and games by the end of this fiscal and TV, a news and magazines app, storage chat and Idea Money next year.
This would be in competition to the Jio app from rival Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd, which announced the launch of its services and tariffs on Thursday.