Reliance Jio blames Airtel again over call drops

Reliance Jio says that 17.5% of calls made to Bharti Airtel’s network fail because the latter is yet to provide adequate points of interconnection


Since its launch, Reliance Jio has been sparring with leading telecom companies over interconnection points.
Since its launch, Reliance Jio has been sparring with leading telecom companies over interconnection points.

New Delhi: Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) on Monday said that 17.5% of calls made from its Reliance Jio network to Bharti Airtel Ltd’s fail because the latter is yet to provide adequate points of interconnection.

The company highlighted this in its earnings press release and added that the telecom regulator’s guidelines mandate a maximum 0.5% failure rate for calls.

ALSO READ | Reliance Jio to add $4.4 billion in funding as Mukesh Ambani builds war chest

“Indian customers are still being denied the benefits of superior voice technology on Jio’s state-of-the-art network, “RIL said in a statement.

“About 60 million customers of Jio are making calls into the Airtel network. To meet this requirement, we have provided 21,557 PoIs to them which is much higher than their demand of 14,164 E1s for catering to 100 million customers. Approximately 17,000 PoIs of the total PoIs provided are dedicated to the outgoing traffic of Jio. Jio has yet to activate all the E1s we have provided to them. While, their free traffic has been a cause of tsunami of asymmetric traffic towards Airtel’s network, Jio itself has been slow in activating the PoIs provided to them for the reasons best known to them. We understand that media is not available at their end. We hope that they will take immediate corrective actions, instead of blaming Airtel for issues being faced at their end,” said an Airtel spokesperson.

Since its launch, Reliance Jio has been sparring with leading telecom companies over interconnection points.

The current statement by RIL comes in the background of appeals filed by Airtel against telecom regulator Trai in TDSAT (telecom dispute and settlement appellate tribunal) accusing it of acting like a “mute spectator” and allowing predatory pricing by Reliance Jio.

ALSO READ | Reliance Jio free offer has created unfair competition: Airtel’s Sunil Mittal

Last week, attorney general Mukul Rohatgi cleared the levy of a penalty of Rs3,050 crore on Airtel, Vodafone and Idea for not providing enough interconnection points to Jio. Trai had recommended the penalty after Reliance Jio’s complaint.

The industry lobby group, Cellular Operators Association of India (COAI) refused to be drawn into the matter.

ALSO READ | Attorney General clears way for Rs3,050 crore penalty on Airtel, Vodafone, Idea

“All of these inter-operator issues have to be addressed by Trai. COAI will not get involved in individual operator issues; we deal with industry wide issues. We have nothing further to say on this,” Rajan Mathews, director general at COAI said.

On 1 December, while announcing the extension of Jio’s free services offer till 31 March 2017, Mukesh Ambani had accused Airtel, Vodafone and Idea of blocking nine billion calls made on Jio’s network to their networks. He indicated that after Trai’s intervention the call failure rate had come down from 90% to 20%.

More From Livemint