ICICI Bank, SBI, StanChart report the most bank frauds: RBI
- RIL world’s 3rd largest energy firm: Platts rankings
- Gold prices slump by Rs100 on demand dent
- India ships 620 tonnes of food today for Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh
- BHU protests: Committee headed by UP chief secretary to probe violence
- Post Nandyal bypolls, TDP and YSRCP continue campaigning, set tone for 2019 elections
New Delhi: The ICICI Bank topped the list of banks that witnessed most number of frauds during April-December period of 2016 with state-owned SBI taking the second spot, RBI data said.
During the first nine months of the current fiscal, as many as 455 fraud cases involving Rs1 lakh and above were detected in ICICI Bank, closely followed by SBI (429), Standard Chartered (244) and HDFC Bank (237).
The other banks which reported large number of frauds to the apex bank during the period include Axis Bank (189), Bank of Baroda (176) and Citibank (150).
However, in value terms, frauds involving Rs2,236.81 crore were reported in SBI, followed by Punjab National Bank (Rs2,250.34 crore) and Axis Bank (Rs1,998.49 crore).
The data provided by RBI to the finance ministry also revealed the involvement of bank staffs in fraud cases. In the case of SBI, 64 employees were involved in fraud cases, while it was 49 for HDFC Bank and 35 for Axis Bank.
In all, 450 employees were involved in fraud cases in different public and private sector banks during April-December 2016, in 3,870 cases involving a total value of Rs17,750.27 crore.