Airtel Payments Bank offers talktime equal to deposits to first-time customers
The Airtel Payments Bank offer allows customers to use the talktime to make calls all over India
Latest News »
- Govt, industry should team up to minimize disruption due to GST implementaton
- GST rollout from 1 July, but confusion still reigns among auto, FMCG firms
- Why didn’t Madhya Pradesh farmers gain from farm growth?
- NIPFP may help compute social obligation costs borne by Indian Railways
- GST is the new normal, but issues still remain: Nykaa’s Sachin Parikh
Mumbai: Airtel Payments Bank on Friday said that first-time customers will receive talktime equivalent to the money deposited in the savings account on their Airtel number. The bank is offering 7.25% interest rates on savings account, which is higher than what commercial banks (4-6%) are offering.
The talktime can be used to make calls all over India.
Airtel became the first payment bank to start operations last week, starting from Rajasthan with 10,000 retail outlets. The bank plans to expand its reach to 1 lakh merchants by the end of the year, according to the statement issued last week.
As per the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines issued in November 2014, a payment bank cannot accept more than Rs1 lakh in deposits per customer.
The bank was the first applicant to receive the final licence from the RBI in April.
Kotak Mahindra Bank holds 19.9% stake in the Airtel Payments Bank.