Airtel Payments Bank offers talktime equal to deposits to first-time customers
- Windows 10 Fall Creators Update rolling out: everything you need to know
- Alphabet to pack its digital city with autonomous ‘Taxibots’
- Pakistan blast kills at least six in Quetta
- WhatsApp lets you share live location to tell friends where you are
- Supreme Court firecracker ban: Over 1,200 kg crackers seized, 29 arrested
Mumbai: Airtel Payments Bank on Friday said that first-time customers will receive talktime equivalent to the money deposited in the savings account on their Airtel number. The bank is offering 7.25% interest rates on savings account, which is higher than what commercial banks (4-6%) are offering.
The talktime can be used to make calls all over India.
Airtel became the first payment bank to start operations last week, starting from Rajasthan with 10,000 retail outlets. The bank plans to expand its reach to 1 lakh merchants by the end of the year, according to the statement issued last week.
As per the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) guidelines issued in November 2014, a payment bank cannot accept more than Rs1 lakh in deposits per customer.
The bank was the first applicant to receive the final licence from the RBI in April.
Kotak Mahindra Bank holds 19.9% stake in the Airtel Payments Bank.