Social in the virtual world
- Rahul Gandhi to begin three-day Gujarat visit from Monday
- Narayan Rane to meet Amit Shah in Delhi tomorrow
- Germany elections: Angela Merkel wins 4th term as far-right party enters parliament
- Eye on 2019 Lok Sabha elections, Mayawati to hold rallies across India
- Maruti Suzuki Dzire overtakes Alto as India’s best-selling car in August
While more and more people across the globe are getting connected to the Internet, the growth is still a bit lopsided. A social insight firm, We Are Social, has released the Digital in 2016 report, which suggests that North America and West Europe are the top two regions in terms of Internet penetration, at 88% and 83%, respectively. Africa and South Asia have the lowest Internet penetration at 29% and 27%, respectively. South Asia and Africa also have the lowest mobile phone penetration. With 24% of the world’s population, South Asia accounts for only 18% of global mobile users and 8% of the world’s active social media users. West Asia witnessed the highest annual growth in Internet users, calculated at 17%, in the period from January 2015 to January 2016.