TDSAT asks Trai to furnish details of Reliance Jio’s free offers
- PNB fraud: Jewellery stocks lose shine, Gitanjali Gems shares tank 60%
- Donald Trump not satisfied with progress in Pakistan: White House
- LIVE: Canada PM Justin Trudeau to meet Narendra Modi today
- Opening bell: Asian markets rebound; Infosys, Fortis, Adani Transmission in news
- Bharti Infratel, Indus Towers planning merger to create telecom tower giant
New Delhi: The Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) on Monday asked the telecom regulator to furnish details and copies of Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd’s ‘Welcome Offer’ and ‘Happy New Year Offer’.
TDSAT is hearing appeals filed by telecom service providers Bharti Airtel Ltd and Idea Cellular Ltd questioning Jio’s free services. The telcos have accused the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (Trai) for not acting against what they call predatory pricing by Reliance Jio.
On Monday, a two-member bench at the TDSAT asked the Trai to clarify whether the two offers fell within the Telecom Consumers’ Protection (TCP) Regulations 2012, which provide categories under which various tariff plans and vouchers can be introduced.
“The TCPR defines what service provider can offer. (Trai must) clarify that these are promotional offers not found in the TCPR. We don’t know what regulation to apply,” the tribunal said.
The tribunal also sought details on whether Reliance Jio subscribers were informed that the free offers were promotional only. It also sought clarification from Trai on compliance with the regulations on inter-connection usage charges. Trai has to furnish this information by 23 February. The tribunal will hear the case next on 28 February.