Understanding digital retail in India
Expanding Internet access, growing smartphone usage and rising digital media consumption will have a profound impact on the future of Indian retail
Latest News »
- Can Mukesh Ambani & Co save the planet?
- $1 trillion airport spree puts Singapore, Hong Kong on notice
- Steve Bannon is said to call for 44% tax on incomes above $5 million
- Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro lashes out at ‘insolent’ US sanctions
- Decision to form govt with BJP taken in interest of Bihar, says CM Nitish Kumar
India is in the midst of a digital revolution. Expanding Internet access, growing smartphone usage and rising digital media consumption will have a profound impact on the future of Indian retail over the next few years. A new report by the Boston Consulting Group and The Retailers Association of India suggests that more people with Internet access and those who purchase goods online will shift dramatically over 2015 to 2020. BCG also predicts a shift in the location of Internet users, with a significant increase in the number of users coming from Tier 4 towns and rural areas. This shift would also accompany a gender shift in Internet users, with women participation online increasing from 29% in 2015 to 40% in 2020. While e-commerce is expected to grow, there will be differentiation according to category of goods/services sold.