Vodafone to activate new SIM cards with Aadhaar, biometrics
- ‘Padmavati’ fights a tough battle, but it is not alone
- Niti Aayog’s battery swapping policy not viable for India: Nitin Gadkari
- Bureaucratic reshuffle: 20 joint secretaries appointed in different govt departments
- Padmavati controversy: Prasoon Joshi says CBFC needs space, time to come up with ‘balanced’ decision
- Wipro’s Rs11,000 crore share buyback to begin from 29 November
New Delhi: Vodafone initiated e-KYC (know your customer) verification using only Aadhaar number and fingerprints as biometrics for rolling out new prepaid and postpaid mobile connections starting from Wednesday.
In partnership with the department of telecom, a pilot on Aadhaar was tested in two circles and is going to be rolled out in the entire country.
The use of e-KYC will reduce the amount of paperwork and also bring about uniformity in terms of documents submitted by all. The use of e-KYC will also drastically cut down delays in activating new connections because of infrastructure challenges such as power cuts, transporting volumes of paper, lack of photocopying and photography facilities.
Vodafone India has also developed an app so that all retailers can activate customers using e-KYC.