European football: On the bench
The most expensive players in English football who cannot find a place in their teams
Latest News »
- Britain’s Co-operative Bank agrees $900 million rescue package
- Sikkim standoff: India must be ‘taught the rules’, says Chinese daily
- NEET 2017: Rickshaw puller’s son cracks medical entrance test
- Air India Express posts Rs297 crore profit for FY17
- Gold prices stay steady, silver prices surge by Rs 335 per kg
They are the heavyweights of European football (or, at least, they were, once). They have been world champions, European champions, winners of the football leagues and cups in their respective countries and the Champions League. They made headlines each time they signed up for a club. And yet, here they are, sitting on the sidelines due to injuries or inconsistent performances in the recent past.
As the record-breaking splurge by English clubs this season is grabbing all the headlines, here’s a look at the most expensive players in the world who cannot find a place in their club’s playing XI. Because of their high salaries—the number in the graphic is their approximate weekly wage—they have not been able to get transfers to other clubs either. A no-win situation.