European football: On the bench
- Constitution is the greatest public policy: Justice J. Chelameswar
- NMDC keen to augment mineral production in Odisha
- Subramanian Swamy to court: Rs414 crore fine imposed by I-T dept on firm in Herald case
- Congress asks PM Modi to address Haryana rape incidents in ‘Mann Ki Baat’
- UP govt mulls withdrawing Muzaffarnagar riots cases against BJP leaders
They are the heavyweights of European football (or, at least, they were, once). They have been world champions, European champions, winners of the football leagues and cups in their respective countries and the Champions League. They made headlines each time they signed up for a club. And yet, here they are, sitting on the sidelines due to injuries or inconsistent performances in the recent past.
As the record-breaking splurge by English clubs this season is grabbing all the headlines, here’s a look at the most expensive players in the world who cannot find a place in their club’s playing XI. Because of their high salaries—the number in the graphic is their approximate weekly wage—they have not been able to get transfers to other clubs either. A no-win situation.