Pale blue is an intrinsically calming colour, says Stephanie Hoppen, author of Choosing Blue: Color You Can Live With (available at Amazon.com). She advises pairing blues with other colours so that the result is soothing and refreshing, and “not an unfriendly ice bath”. Frosty blues are elegant with soft creams and shiny accents such as glass. Or take the chill off icy colours by teaming them with warm browns, reds or oranges.
“When an all-cool blue room needs a little bit of livening up, be bold and try a dash of contrasting shades like vibrant lemon yellow, or a zinging fuchsia,” Hoppen says. Touches of hues such as natural wood tones, sandy beiges and limewash finishes work well to balance the barely-there blue rooms, Hoppen explains, adding that paint-finish can impact the mood of ice blues. “Chalky flat finishes are warm, while shiny blues will give a bit of chill.”
Photographs by (room) Jeff McNamara; (paint) Kim Cornelison; (products) Anshuman Sen and Tanuj Ahuja; Styling by Ruchika Goswamy and Simrat Kohli. On the wall in the room: Sky High, 13 BG 72/151, ICI Dulux
‘Noli’ glass vase: At Moon River, Defence Colony, New Delhi, Rs550.
Upholstered silver-frame chair: At Bench Craft, Grand Mall, Gurgaon; and Raghuvanshi Mills Compound, Mumbai, Rs85,000
Coral on wooden stand: At Take Me Home, N-Block Market, Greater Kailash-I, New Delhi, Rs8,438.
Throw and cushion: At Silk Road and Beyond, N-Block Market, Greater Kailash-I, New Delhi; throw, Rs2,750; cushion, Rs1,350.
Plates and bowls: At Tarini India Pvt. Ltd, N-Block Market, Greater Kailash-I, New Delhi, Rs200-465.
1. Misty sky: This grey-blue is a muted, welcoming wall colour that soothes in bedrooms and living rooms. Alliance, 1203, Asian Paints.
2. Glacier: Paint a side table in a high-gloss finish to add sheen to a room. Echo Lake, 87 GG 60/239, ICI Dulux.
3. Wintergreen:Blue-green colours pair well with grey-greens and painted woods. 4-1402P, Berger.
4. Northern light: On the ceiling, this colour gives off a peaceful glow. Try in a sunny room or a covered porch. City Sky, 7418, Asian Paints.
5. Pale blue: The colour of fresh air, this weathered shade works on walls to create a “put your feet up and relax” mood. Reading Room, 30 BB 63/084, ICI Dulux.
All content is powered by Better Homes and Gardens