The world cup in numbers
The fastest, the most accurate, the best tacklers, the top goalscorers—a statistical breakdown of the best players
Latest News »
- Inflation to rise to 4.4% in second half of 2017: Nomura report
- India’s 1st individual Olympic medal up for auction for funds
- Air India plans new menu with variety of wines, mocktails for premium passengers
- US is said to review allegations German carmakers colluded
- S&P hits record, Alphabet weighs on Nasdaq
Big Data is now an inseparable part of most sport, and football is no exception. The numbers tell a compelling story: Which player in the World Cup made the most goalscoring chances for his club side in the 2013-14 season? Who is gifted enough to make 93 accurate passes of every 100 he attempts? Who made the most clearances and interceptions in the backline, closing the door on attacks? Click on the graphic for a statistical dream team.
The players featured in the graphic are from the English Premier League, French Ligue 1, German Bundesliga, Italian Serie A and Spanish La Liga.
All the figures are from the 2013-14 season, and do not include the Uefa Champions League.
Compiled by Rudraneil Sengupta
Graphics by Manoj Madhavan and Jayachandran/Mint