The world cup in numbers
- Bangladesh eases charity access to Rohingya, seeks $250 million for aid
- Visitors abandon vacations as Hurricane Maria churns near Carolinas
- Angela Merkel’s weak election win betrays ‘dark past’ stalking Europe
- NCLT grants 10-day extension to McDonald’s to respond on Bakshi plea
- Scope for RBI rate cut, fiscal stimulus ‘less likely’: ADB
Big Data is now an inseparable part of most sport, and football is no exception. The numbers tell a compelling story: Which player in the World Cup made the most goalscoring chances for his club side in the 2013-14 season? Who is gifted enough to make 93 accurate passes of every 100 he attempts? Who made the most clearances and interceptions in the backline, closing the door on attacks? Click on the graphic for a statistical dream team.
The players featured in the graphic are from the English Premier League, French Ligue 1, German Bundesliga, Italian Serie A and Spanish La Liga.
All the figures are from the 2013-14 season, and do not include the Uefa Champions League.
Compiled by Rudraneil Sengupta
Graphics by Manoj Madhavan and Jayachandran/Mint