Do you find the paint bubbling and peeling near the shower stall of your bathroom? Here is how to make it permanent and virtually maintenance-free:
• Sand all bubbling and paint off, and sand the rest of the paint to reduce gloss and roughen the finish.
• Buy sheets of shiny white (or any other colour you like) Formica laminate. Cut the laminate in order to fit the three spaces above the shower stall as well as the ceiling.
• It is a good idea to install the ceiling piece first so the side pieces will help keep it in place. Fit the pieces dry before installing them with contact cement.
• If you have a raw edge on any piece, you can install a decorative wood-moulding to cover it.
• This method can stand the test of time, heat and humidity, and look great for several decades. There may be a few water marks on the ceiling, caused by dripping condensation, but you can easily tackle that.
• If one of the side pieces fall off, you can simply reapply it with a little contact cement.