It’s no big deal. Getting the most out of the destination you are visiting while holidaying is easy if you know the right places to look for cheap deals. Check these out.
The Caribbean: Three of the biggest online travel agencies—Expedia, Travelocity and Orbitz—are all offering several Caribbean packages, from 30-50% off, across a range of vacations, including cruises, all through the peak season (mid- December to mid-April).
Great Singapore sale: This year, the sale is on from 29 May to 26 July. With discounts of up to 70% at thousands of shops across the city, this is bargain hunting at its best. From spa packages to IT gear and furniture, this sale really has every angle covered, with fun events thrown into the deal.
Star Cruises: If you love cruising, you won’t want to miss this one. Star Cruises has a ‘3 Times the Smiles’ offer which includes two-nights-each stays in Kuala Lumpur, Singapore and aboard Superstar Virgo. The package is priced at Rs22,999 and is valid till 10 April. The offer also includes a one-night stay in Genting Highlands in Malaysia.
For details, visit firstname.lastname@example.org or call 46527198/99 (New Delhi), 67410700/01/02 (Mumbai) and 25276096/97 (Bangalore).
• Use a digital camera for vacation snaps—and don’t print! Maintain online digital albums rather than personal DVDs/CDs.
• Rather than buying small, travel-sized toiletries, fill reusable containers with shampoo, soap and other necessities. It is more cost-effective.
• Try to take along solid rather than liquid products (soap bars rather than shower gels, deo sticks rather than sprays) to simplify your packing and reduce the number of protective plastic bottles and bags and wrappings you need.
• Book flights with airlines that offer electronic tickets to reduce paper waste. Even the two-page printout that Indian airport security demands you bring along (we’re not quite as paperless as the developed nations yet) is less paper than the multi page booklet and cover that a traditional plane ticket entails.
• Hotels that are just launching or renovating tend to have special deals and introductory offers available in the early months. Look around.
• Check the flight and train schedules again. Could you take an overnight trip between cities and save on the cost of a room for that night?
Art for a song
Unless you’re buying art as an investment or to support a less privileged artisan, you could add a homely touch with children’s artwork and your own photographs instead. It would be much cheaper, and we guarantee you’ll never get so bored that you want to throw them away—at the most, you might keep moving them in and out of storage.