Slideshow | Silent notes
A narrative on Kashmir that attempts to steer clear of the ‘conflict’ and ‘beauty’, and find a new language to capture the valley
- Snapshots of a wounded civilization:A picture taken at Lal Chowk, Srinagar, in 2010. Mehra says it defines the Kashmir situation: ‘entangled and confusing’.
- A crowd praying, shadowed by pigeons in flight, in Srinagar in 2009.
- A picture of a cat taken in Srinagar in 2011. Its watchful expression, says Mehra, is the same as the look on the faces of Kashmiris.
- A tailor in Maisuma, Srinagar, in 2009.A crowd praying, shadowed by pigeons in flight, in Srinagar in 2009.
- A shot of pigeons at Khaniyar, Srinagar, in 2010. The man stands for the faceless Kashmiri, the one who happens to get shot just because he’s there, says Mehra.
- A boy photographed on Residency Road, Srinagar, in 2008. Photographs: Amit Mehra.