It is a task most of us postpone till the right job comes along and we are left with two days to update our CV—too short for our memory to pull out all we achieved in the last four years. Too short even for professional CV writers. We decided to find out how long it takes, and the effort required, to update a CV.
With the help of Ruralnaukri.com, we traced a mid-level executive willing to share his CV with us. Since he has just got a job, we are not disclosing its details. Neeraj Kumar Pathak, 28, works in Amritsar, and is in a job where he gives risk management advice on agricultural commodities.
The original Résumé (PDF)
We requested Naukri.com and Cvwritingindia.com to work on Pathak’s CV. The websites charged Rs1,900 and Rs1,299, respectively. The CV writers and Pathak worked closely on redoing the CV. Both the websites went back to him with questions, asking him to add details of competencies, and even fill an online form stating his goals clearly. One thing was clear: For any CV writer to be able to create a great résumé, the candidate has to be able to provide key insights not just into his career but also his personality, as well as include quantifiable achievements.
1. The portal said the profile statement should have two essentials: ‘What are you looking for?’ and ‘What makes you suitable for it?’ The CV writers introduced the second part in Pathak’s CV.
2. In the executive summary, Pathak’s target area—agriculture business development—was highlighted.
3. The language and presentation of the original CV was changed. The writers introduced specific words such as “business development” that recruiters look for while shortlisting a CV.
4. An achievements section was introduced.
5. The portal worked on the professional experience section extensively.
1. Incorporated keywords that pop up during a search by recruiters.
2. In his online form, Pathak said he preferred to work with the agriculture sector. The portal felt that would narrow his chances. So the CV was modified to highlight Pathak’s forte in a wide range of areas.
3. The reworked résumé corrected and highlighted the total number of years of experience.
4. The portal introduced tab points to highlight Pathak’s proficiencies.
5. Pathak couldn’t provide any data to back his claims. If he had been able to do so, the CV would have have been “juicier”, said the CV writers.