EPFO extends deadline for payment of EPF dues till 20 January
- Deals Buzz: Bain Capital takes $450 million bridge loan to fund Axis Bank deal
- Skymet raises Series C funding from Germany’s InsuResilience Investment Fund
- Honor Holly 4 Review: Close to Xiaomi Redmi 4, but not better
- Ten Indian films that faced trouble in Pakistan
- Gujarat elections: Results indicate people not happy with BJP, says Shiv Sena
New Delhi: Retirement fund body Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) has extended deadline for payment of Employees’ Provident Fund (EPF) contributions by five days till 20 January in view of difficulties being faced by firms in filing EPF returns online due to technical issues.
“EPF statutory dues for the month of December can now be paid by 20 January 2017,” an EPFO statement said on Thursday.
A unified portal for employers with UAN (universal account number) based simplified electronic challan cum return filing system was launched by the EPFO on 23 December 2016. The portal helps in submission of UAN-based returns and challans.
It has been noticed that due to increased traffic on the portal, many employers have faced some difficulty in upfront allotment of UAN, connectivity/login issues, website slowing down and also unfamiliarity of the new processes, it said.
The statutory dues are to be paid by 15th of every month. Considering the issues arising out of stabilisation of the portal, it has been decided to allow a grace period of five days for the month of December 2016 remittance which can be paid by 20 January 2017.
EPFO has a subscribers base of over four crore and handles over six lakh employers.